This recipe I found in a very old missionary cookbook from Greenwood Hills camp. These recipes I usually find are full of ingredients that are very basic and things you probably have on hand. Most of the missionaries that I know never had a Super-Walmart near buy to run out and buy extras, so the ingredients are basic.
I made this recipe not knowing what this would taste like by blending an entire orange skin and all….but let me tell you, this was outstanding and delicious.
- 1 orange (washed, cut in four and take the seeds out)
- ½ cup of orange juice
- ½ cup of chopped dates, raisins or cranberries (my favorite are the dried cranberries)
- ½ cup of butter (softened)
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups of flour
- ¾ cups of sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Quarter the orange and cut in half
- Place orange, egg , orange juice and butter in a blender and chop and blend together rind and all
- Mix in a separate bowl remaining ingredients
- Mix all ingredients together and you will find the batter is very lumpy
- Stir in fruit or nuts of your choice
- Place in a greased muffin tin and bake at 350 for 20 minutes
- Let then cool for a bit and they taste oh so good!!!
Lynn A. C. Wilson – Resume of a Mother