A cold night…you are just coming home from work or a long day… and you want a nice warm bowl of soup? That’s what I like to do on a Fall or Winter evening. But normally I find that I don’t have the time to whip something up on the day that I want it. So instead I make large batches of soup 4 – 6 times a year and freeze them for when I need a quick hot meal with not a lot of fuss.
Onion Soup….so simple to make and so simple to enjoy!
Here is my recipe that I make…I hope you enjoy this!
(BTW this recipe is very forgiving….so a little more of this and a little less of that, based on what you have in your pantry is fine)
- 2 bag of onions (3 – 5 lbs)
- 2 containers of Beef Broth (homemade is better if you have some stashed in your freezer)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ stick of butter
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tables spoons of parsley or basil (your choice)
- My secret ingredient is Marmite – one heaping teaspoon
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- Melt butter and garlic in a sauce pan
- Once melted, add onions (slice onions very thin)
- Add spices to onions
- Sauté onions until a gold brown
- Pour onion mixture into crock pot and add broth and bay leaves for 2 hours on high or on stove top on low for 2 hours.
- Take out the Bay Leaves
- Grab a bowl, pour in some soup, get some bread or crackers and enjoy!
Lynn A. C. Wilson – Resume of a Mother